Mason Greenwood: Manchester United and England international footballer further arrested over sexual assaults and threats to murder.
Following social media photographs and videos put online by a woman reporting attacks, Greater Manchester Police were granted further time to question the 20-year-old on Monday.
Manchester United and England international footballer Mason Greenwood has been further arrested on suspicion of sexual assault and making threats to kill.
Greenwood further arrested over sexual assault and threats to kill. The 20-Year old English international was detained on Sunday for suspicion of rape and assault after a woman alleging incidents of violence posted pictures and videos on social media.
Greenwood was suspended from playing or training with the club following the weekend allegations.
Greater Manchester Police said in a statement: “Detectives have been granted further additional time to speak to a man in his 20s who was arrested on suspicion of rape and assault of a woman.
“The suspect was detained in custody on Sunday (January 30) afternoon after we became aware of online social media images and videos posted by a woman reporting incidents of physical violence.
“He continues to be questioned after magistrates authorised an extension until tomorrow (Wednesday 2 February).
“Following enquiries so far, he has since been further arrested on suspicion of sexual assault and threats to kill.
“Enquiries are ongoing and the victim continues to be offered specialist support.
“We remind people to avoid any commentary or sharing of images that could compromise the victim’s right to lifelong anonymity, or risk prejudicing a live investigation with active proceedings.”
EA Sports developer of video game said the forward had been removed from FIFA products.
A statement said Mason Greenwood had been removed from active squads in FIFA 22 and also suspended from appearing in FIFA Ultimate Team packs and Ultimate Draft.
Sportswear firm Nike previously said it had suspended its relationship with the footballer.
“We are deeply concerned by the disturbing allegations and will continue to closely monitor the situation,” a spokesman said.
Mason Greenwood, who made his debut for Manchester United in March 2019, signed a four-year deal in February 2021 after rising through the ranks of the academy.
Manchester United put out a statement on Sunday kicking against sexual violence. The statement reads: the club “did not condone violence of any kind” and had been made aware of the allegations but would make no further comment until the “facts have been established”.
Furthermore, the club said it “reiterates its strong condemnation of violence of any kind”.
“As previously communicated, Mason Greenwood will not train with, or play for, the club until further notice,” a spokesman added.